Skip to main content

new york city – the trip home

my trip home was not what i had planned.  something you need to know about me is that i like to wind down from travel.  when i plan my flights, i factor in a good chunk of time before i have to jump back into my routine.  this allows for a time of rest (from the travel, usually), but also gives me time to get some things out of the way, post-travel chores, such as unpacking and laundry, getting items ready for the next day (especially if i’m coming back to a work day), and even groceries.  i might even have some mental strength to put together my blog posts.

but things did not go as i had planned.  my flight from jfk to cincinnati was on schedule.  but my flight from cincinnati to knoxtropolis was not.  when we touched down in cinci, i turned my phone on to find email from delta waiting for me to let know my thirty minute layover was now about two.  when i got off the plane and found a monitor and found my gate, it had been bumped to three hours.  when i check my email again, the flight had been cancelled.  in fact, delta’s computers had automatically booked me on a later flight, the 7:00p flight out of cinci.  7:00p?!

i talked to ticket agent.  first lady, not so customer service-y.  having some time, i grabbed lunch.  upon returning to the gate, i asked again about matters.  i asked dude, who was more customer service-y, if i could get my bags if i could get a rental car.  he said sure.  i stepped aside and checked for cars.  none at hertz and avis.  i called AAA and asked for their magic powers to be invoked.  no cars available despite AAA magic.  i was really stuck there.

i told delta dude i would be staying.  he told me he would be working the gate from where my 7:00p flight was to leave and would work out my exact seating when i got there.  hours to kill now.

i put together the first few blog posts during the time.  i felt like i could have used a nap.  i really wanted a nap…and to have my laundry started and to even have my grocery shopping done.  time passed more quickly while putting together my blog posts.  time to find my gate.

hey, look, my gate.  hey, there’s delta dude.  he gave me seat one-charlie.  right up front!  it’s almost like riding shotgun except you can’t see out the front window, and the airlines don’t like that term used no matter where you sit.  flight was short.  i got home actually twenty minutes earlier than schedule.  points to our pilots.  and i was the first one off the plane.  never had that happen before.  i got to be first in line at the baggage area!

i ended up waiting for all the bags to make it off the plane.  mine was not among them.  great.  talked to delta lost baggage lady.  she informs me my bag never got put on at jfk and as we were talking was either en route to or already in hotlanta.  (she didn’t call it hotlanta.  that’s my term.)  great.

my bag didn’t actually come for another twenty-four hours after i had gotten home.  about 10:30p on tuesday night after i had gone to bed.  i am at least glad delta didn’t lose my bags going to new york.  that would have really set me off, i believe.  i’m also glad i didn’t burn extra pto because of bumped fights.  and despite this end to the whole vacation, i did have an extremely good time.

i’ll be back, new york.  i’ll be back.


Popular posts from this blog

reliable routers?

these are the horror stories you only hear about in other blogs but your own.

i have an asus rt-ac87u router which i have been mostly happy with for over a year now. middle to late last year, the firmware update on the router caused it to just drop the internet connection randomly. not the whole network or a restart, but just the connection to my internet modem.
last night (or early this morning, rather), i woke up for other reasons, but i watched as i was browsing on my phone the network switch from my 5GHz network to LTE. ugh! but i'll deal with it in the morning. 
i woke up and started a few things around the house. i rebooted the router to find no restoration of that band. (the 2.4GHz band was fine.) i didn't have time to deal with it then, so i set aside for when i got home. i was thinking it was the radio for 5GHz.
and upon entering my house, i started the effort to replace the router with a backup device of exactly the same make and model. needless to say, the results w…

bad routers continued

after last night's rant which included a few frustrated posts on twitter, i received a reply from linksys's support account, @linksyscares. i responded with some information but never really heard back from them.
in the course of my checking, i realized that v1 firmware on my v2 wrt-1900acs router. i had never used a file to flash the firmware. i opted for the automatic stuff. so, this v1 firmware was on it out of the box. hope, maybe!
i got home, downloaded the v2 firmware, and did the hard reset on the router to dump the dd-wrt. i got the firmware installed after a little bit of wrestling and proceeded to start the configuration. this is where things got bad again.
the wrt-1900acs with the right firmware continued it pattern of restarting every few minutes. i never actually got the setup completed because the restarts would stymie my attempts to adjust any settings. after spending yet another hour of this repeated madness, i shut down the linksys, powered up the asus, and wi…

south africa: seaview

don’t let the name fool you. although it was set with a great view of the ocean, this park housed big cats and other animals. but before i mention them, duncan and family and i found a reptile and raptor rescue at the place we stayed overnight after visiting addo.

duncan’s girls were considering getting a snake, and he thought this might be a good trial run to see if they would really enjoy having such a pet. we saw some rather interesting snakes (especially the black mamba), a few of which i was glad to have run across in a controlled environment rather than randomly in the wild. interestingly, they had some snakes local to my home town in the states too (copperhead, rattlesnake, and cottonmouth). some interesting birds including the large falcon were also part of the tour. (see how big this bird is.)

after leaving the rescue, we headed to the other side of port elizabeth to visit seaview. it was here that we were able to get very close to the lions. we arrived just in time to see t…